Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Willing Spirit

Greetings,

Today I want to talk about our spirit.  I'm not talking about that which describes our general attitude.  I am talking about the spirit that lives inside of us the moment we accept Christ.  Our scripture for this day reads,“Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.” (Psalm 51:12).  Grant me a willing spirit, that is what the Psalmist is talking about.  On my journey home I have experienced times when I don't think I had a willing spirit .  I recall times, early after surgery, when my prayers to God would not be very willing at all.  I somehow got the impression that God was suppose to heal me without any participation on my part.  He could of easily have done that however, He wanted me to be a part of the healing process.

I think each one of us have gone through times when we just want our prayers answered immediately and without having to do any work on our part.  Many times I have encouraged individuals to do just as much listening in prayer than they do talking. It is in those quiet moments when we hear God speaking to us, guiding us, and giving us instruction.  Those quiet moments are the time when God speaks peace to us.  Yet, for all of our praying, we never take tme for God to respond.

I have found that listening to God is the best way to encourage a willing spirit.  So, the question might be asked, "do we neglect listening to God because our spirit is not willing?".  I learned very early on my journey home that if I were going to recover from my surgeries that I was going to have to do my part.  God wanted this recovery to give Him glory and I was called to do what He told me to do if that was going to happen.  It is in a willing spirit that God is glorified.

What is God asking you to do on your journey home?  Does He want more prayer from you, more obedience from you, or just a little more time with you?  God takes willing spirits and uses them for His glory here on earth.  Do you want to be a willing servant or just expect God to do all of the work.  I found out that God had called me to do some of the work myself.  It took a while but I think I have found my willing spirit again.  It was some time coming...but God waited!

I encourage all of you to find that willing spirit again and go and serve our master, father, redeemer, and friend.  I will see you on the journey home!

Blessings,


Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment