Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Fellowship

Greetings,

I love The Lord of the Rings.  I particularly enjoy The Fellowship of the Ring which is the first in the trilogy.  I am sure that you have seen the movies or read the Tolkien books.  The Fellowship of the Ring finds nine individuals, 4 hobbits, two men, a dwarf, an elf, and a wizard setting off on a journey to destroy the one ring of Saron in the fires of Mount Doom.  I am sure that if you know the story you are saying to yourself, "Yes! The Fellowship!".  If you haven't seen the movies or read the book you are saying, "What?".   Let me make it easy for all of us.  I love the idea that nine individuals set forth on a common journey with a common cause.

On my journey home I find a number of people on my path.  My journey towards the cross of Christ is not barren of other people.  My journey finds me, sometims, walking along with others.  Each of us using our different  gifts and talents to achieve a common goal, the sharing of the gospel.  It is good to know that their are others on the path with me.  It is comforting to know that I don't walk this road alone.  Knowing  that there is a fellowship of the body of Christ comforts me.  Just as the indivudals of the fellowship of the ring find themselves in perilous circumstances we, as Christians, find ourselves striving to overcome evil and sin in our world.

I wish I could report to you that the path that leads me on my journey home was an easy one.  I cannot tell you that.  However, I can tell you that we don't walk the path alone.  We have any number of brothers and sisters to walk with us.  And, definitely, we have our savior with us every step of the way. 

I encourage you to step back from your journey home for a moment and take time to recognze the many ways that God has aided you in your journey.  Looking back at my journey from my first brain surgery til today I am amazed at the blessings I received.  From God's holy hand to family and friends who walked with me I have found mercy and grace in the fellowship.

I pray that today that you might see God at work in your life.  Look for Him on your journey home.  I suspect He is all over, He walks behind you to encourage you, above you to watch over you, beside you to befriend you, and in front of you to show you the way!  Peace be with you and I will see you on my journey home!

Blessings,


Derek

1 comment:

  1. A good post, Derek. We are all on a journey and it helps to know there are others walking along with us. I completely spaced Bible study yesterday! That's what the night shift does to a person, I guess. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete