Sunday, October 18, 2009

Death Makes Us Live

Greetings,

I apologize for the absent post yesterday.  I was tending to a pastoral duty and could not find time to get to my writing.  It's interesting to see how my calling as a pastor has revealed to me many interesting revelations on my journey home.  Yesterday, I was called to the hospital bedside of a member of my church.  The family had gathered and was awaiting the sad outcome of life... their loved one's death.

Dealing with death is never easy.  Whether it be sudden or whether it works it way out through an illness.  However, the one blessing that I have realized on my journey is this...death is what makes us live!  As my first brain surgery came closer I was faced with the stark reality that I might not make it through the procedure.  I can remember my neurosurgeon advising me about all the things that could, possibly, go wrong.  I distinctly remember her saying that death was not the worse thing that could happen.  There was a chance that if certain parts of the brain were damaged that I could be "locked in".  Simply put it meant that I would be able to see, hear, and comprehend my surroundings but Iwould not be able to move or speak.  I was afraid of that one the most.

I can't say that I ever feared dying.  I didn't want my family to go through that but, if it was to happen, I was ready.  I often tell people tha I would die for my faith but I would much rather stay here on earth and live for Jesus.  I knew after my surgeries that life would be rough and it has been.  However, I thank God each day that He decided to keep me here with my family and my church.  I know that I had been given a second chance, and a third chance, and a fourth chance.  Each time I got up from operating table I knew that I had received a blessing.  I wanted to live and I knew that this thing inside my head was getting in the way of that!

Living with the realization that there was something that was growing in my head that could potentially end my life is somewhat scary.  But, the unknown is often scary.  Just because I have a cyst in my brain doesn't make my life different from yours.  Each one of us face the realization that death could come at any minute.  Although, to come to terms with our mortality gives us great peace of what is given to us after this life.  Exciting as it is to dream of the day that I stand before God in heaven I am thankful that more time has been given to me.  The knowledge that death faces us every day makes us live!

I know that someday God will call me home.  Scripture tells us that "it is appointed for all men to die once and then the judgement".  I am ok with that!  However, until that point God has given me work to do.  I encourage each of us to truly look at death not as something to fear but something to motivate us.  God has given each of us gifts and talents to use for His glory.  He also given each of us a certain time frame to use them.  Be motivated to live...to live for Jesus!  Death  makes us live! 

Until tomorrow may this day be filled with blessings for you and your families.  Live for today because tomorrw is not promised!

Blessings,

Derek

2 comments:

  1. Great post Derek. I came home from church to find a message asking me to come to work again tonight, so had to get some sleep and did not get an opportunity to post today. I'm going to post about your blog tomorrow. Okay, off to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brother! I would like to think that you have a cyst but that cyst doesn't have you! God knows our last day to walk this earth...not your cyst...not your doctors...nor anyone else! You know I always say I like to squeeze the life out of every single day! Best go...days half over & I have lots more 'squeezin' to do!haha Love ya, Sis

    ReplyDelete