Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sharing the Load

Greetings,

Recovering from my surgeries has not been easy.  As I have shared with you before I feel like I am still recovering.  However, I have found on my journey home that God gives us the things we need to recover.  How many times have you heard the scripture that tells us that God never gives us more than we can handle?  There were times that I was sure that God was mistaken.  Or at least He thought to highly of me!  It has occurred to me, however, that perhaps didn't allow me to go through something that He knew I couldn't handle but, rather, He gave me someone that He knew could help me handle it.

I know very few things for certain in mylie.  I know that the sun will always come up tommorrow- my father taught me that.  I know that there is a God and that I am not Him!  And I know that God gave me a partner in life to share my burdens.  I know for certain that I would have never been able to survive my surgeries if it had not been for my Christine.  My wife is my rock, she is my compass, and she is my partner through this crazy ride called life.

Ever since my health problems began Christine has kept a diary.  This diary has been one part medical history, one part Derek history, and one part sounding board for Christine's feelings.  It pains me to read some of her entries.  It pains me because I know that I am the one who has caused the fear and despair that I, sometimes, read.  She assures me that it was not me but, rather, the situation.  I appreciate her for that.

However, the one thing that I always read in that diary is Christine's belief that God would get us through.  That is why God gave her to me.  She believed when I couldn't.  She prayed when I couldn't.  She protected me when I couldn't.  She was  a father when I couldn't be.  I truly believe in guardian angels and I know that I have two.  One watches over me in the heavenly realm and the other one is my wife!

I truly believe that God brings people into our lives to help bear the weight of life itself.  Who is it for you?  Or, perhaps, are you that somebody for someone else?  Life is hard enough for us to think that we are all alone in our sufferings.  God promises to be with us.  He says, "cast your worries upon me for burden is easy and my yoke is light". 

I don't know where I would be on my journey home if it were not for Christine.  However, I know this, she has been with me each step of the way.  Sometimes leading, sometimes following, but ever present.  Thank you God for giving me to her and her to me!

Blessings,

Derek

2 comments:

  1. Yes the sun does come up,sometimes it may not shine on you,as in 86,the 2-1 loss.But you lived on,as you do today.You grow sometimes bigger and better.when (things) dont go as you would like them to.. Keep on looking for the sun each day,and live for that day !!!!!!!!!!!
    Love you
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deke! Terry is that person for me. 18 yrs. of marriage & I still get butterflies! My heart physically aches when he is away for days @ work.....he can still make me blush! He is the calm in the storm....I tend to "be" the storm!haha The love & respect he has for me fuels that desire to give him the wife he deserves. I always tell him that I am his reward for being a good man....I hope he feels the same for me! Although we have never had to deal with (as a married couple)the things you & Christine have...........I would hope that Terry & I would have as much Faith, Grace, Love & Determination as you 2 have shown! We are blessed to have partners who love us without boundaries....without question. They are the "cheese" in our macaroni!!!!!!!!! Love ya brother! Sis

    ReplyDelete