Thursday, October 29, 2009

Back to the Journey

Greetings,

It has been a while since I last posted.  I had a very busy week last week providing pastoral care for a member of my congregation.  She lost her husband due to a heart attack and the funeral was last week.  Not to mention the cold, flu, whatever I have had this week.  I feel as if I am on the mend.  In any case I am back on my journey.

It's funny how things like illnesses pop up right in the middle of the busiest times.  I know I felt that I did not have the time to be sick this week.  I have a number of different projects on my plate and I really didn't want to be bothered with things like not spreading your germs to other people. 

Many people tell me that is God's way of telling me to slow down.  My remark back is that if God wanted to me slow down He wouldn't have given me all of these things to do!  Although, I know that is faulty reasoning.  I do believe that God wants us to rest from time to time.  After my second surgery I had to visit the Mayo clininc in Arizona.  I dreaded driving all that way just to have a neurologist tell me I had a cyst in my brain.  I sure was wrong!

I ended up taking a sabbatical from work for three months and Christine and I drove to Phoenix AZ to check in at the Mayo clininc.  Even though it was a very rough and tiring procedure I had to go through I look back at that time with great fondness.  Why?  Because I got to be with Christine, just Christine.  The business of the work day and the hectic pace of a pastor and teacher's schedules were not there.  For a week it was just her and I.

I think God God wants that from us as well.  Our busy schedules and hectic lives seem to always overshadow our time with God.  Many times we do not have the time to stop and pray or study.  It seems that sometimes our relationship with God is like my cold, "I really don't have time for this right now!". 

I have learned on my journey home that it's ok to stop and smell the flowers.  To be honest there are times in my life when I am moving so quickly that I don't even notice that there are flowers to stop and smell.  I hope I get better at that.  Until then I have Christine to remind me.

I pray that you will find time in this busy week to stop and smell the flowers and give thanks to God for what you have!  Until next time I hope your journey home is a good one!


Blessings,

Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment