Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Learned...

Greetings,

Well we are back from our mission trip and we had just a few minor scrapes.  Jessica had five stitches in her arm, Jenna stepped on a nail, we ripped the handle off the door of my van, and we picked up a crack in the windshield of our van as well.  With all of that said I also marvel at the blessings of the week.  During our six days together we found love for each other, focus on our mission, and we came to see that God's love surrounds wherever we might be called to serve.

For all that we learned and for all the scrapes we endured each one of us took something from mission 2010 back home with them.  If I might I would love to share with  you the truths I have taken from mission 2010.  I might say that "All I needed to know about life I learned on mission 2010."  Many of these truths will only be understood by those who traveled beside me to Lamar.  Don't worry over the next few eeks I with strive to explain each one of them to you.

1.  I learned that tearing something down takes just as much planning as building something up.
2.  I learned that death is just another part of life.
3.  I learned that the serving size that they put on the back of food is a lie.
4. I also learned that anyone who uses the suggested serving size on the back of food to determine the amount of food to buy will be mocked for the rest of their life.
5.  I learned that "mission" isn't some place you go, rather, it is something you feel inside.
6.  I learned that glass shower doors break easy and, sometimes, toilets are the toughest things to take out.
7.  I learned that you have to pay attention just as much when you are tearing things down as when you are building things up.
8.  I learned that, for anything thing to work, you have to first trust God.
9.  I learned that anywhere God calls you to go He will come with you!
10.  And, finally, I have learned that God is good, love is real, friendships made in Christ last forever, and, God can be found in the strangest places in your life.

I learned so much more on this trip than I ever have in 20 years of ministry.  I pray that the blogs that are to come will be an inspiration to you.  But, until then, may God richly bless your life and the life of your family.

Forever a servant in Christ,

Derek

1 comment:

  1. What I learned from Mission 2010:
    1. If there is a nail, Jenna will step on it.
    2. Jess doesn't care about stitches or scars, THEY'RE AWESOME BADGES OF HONOR!!!
    3. Open showers freak out the "Mom's" not the "girls"!!
    4. People are inherently kind.
    5. MY Brother is 1 of the best Men I have ever had the honor of knowing. (stictly on a non-prejudicial level!!)
    6. GOD is working through our Youth, even if they don't see it!
    7. Being alone for a week w/no kids isn't all it's cracked up to be!
    8. How profoundly proud we are of our 2 daughters!
    9. How an abandoned building can give up so many secrets & memories.
    10. Pictures speak volumes as to the love & effort that was given to the community of Lamar, Colorado.
    Just a few on paper....many more in my heart...always in my memory. Love ya D...Sis :)

    ReplyDelete