Sunday, July 18, 2010

God's Mission: Guest Write; Jessica West

Oh my goodness it is my senior year. It is the last year that I will partake in the merriment of mission with my friends from Las Animas Presbyterian Church. Not only is it my last, but it also the first year I've ever had mission with my pastor and my uncle; Deke.
I believe this is my first time I've ever "officially" blogged IN MY LIFE. I must apologize in advance; if you were looking to get something meaningful or something that will induce deep-thought; you might want to look else where.
Not saying that I have nothing meaningful to report.....it just hasn't happened yet.
We arrived at the First Pres church in Lamar and quickly realized something very strange: IT LOOKS JUST LIKE THE CHURCH IN LA JUNTA. And if you have never been inside the First Pres in La Junta; imagine the sanctuary with thin wood panels lining the ceiling, long wooden pews with red velvet cushions, red plush carpet, a balcony in the back with a few pews and where the "sounds guy" sits, and behind the pews is a wall with large windows separating the "cry room" where you take your fussy baby to cry and still pay attention to the sermon. Everything here in this church is mirror to everything in La Junta; save for the lighting which are large cylinder shades with small crosses on them (La Junta had giant spheres).
When Uncle Deke said we had to have mission at home, I didn't realized we were going to stay in a church that looked like the one at home. (After we figure out this technology we'll get some pictures up)
I am currently sitting in the chapel; which happens to be a lot less creepy then the one in Las Animas, probably because there is a large portrait of Jesus to my right and two large stained glass windows of Jesus and a few lambs to my left. I think we need more pictures of Jesus in our church.
I knew from the start that we were going to have problems with this "mission starts at home" business. Me and Steph were the ones who put up the biggest fight. It was our last mission! But after dwelling on the subject I figured I would just take what I was given and not ask any questions. So we all jump in the van to get something to eat. Cassey gives us a little tip, saying there is a place in Missouri called Lamar. Lonnie, Jenna, Eli, and I then come up with an idea: If we can psychologically trick ourselves into thinking we were in Lamar, Missouri; we wouldn't put up any more fights against Uncle Deke. When approached with the idea, Uncle Deke quickly shut it down.
I am actually at a loss right now. I feel like I'm missing a piece......STEPH! SHE'S NOT HERE!! This child who has been on every single mission since she was 8 months old is missing the first 2 days of her LAST mission. She is in Greeley right now, going through orientation with hundreds of others who will join us at the end of summer at the University of Northern Colorado. I can't wait for her to get back, she's my better half! Steph, if you're reading this in Greeley: I MISS YOU!!
Sitting here, I realized that quite a few people are going to read this: well, at least everyone in my family. I almost feel like I'm on TV.....I'm tempted to say, "Hi Mom!"........Hi mom.
I don't know if you got anything meaningful from this.....it's nothing like what Uncle Deke writes; but oh well, I'm no "Uncle Deke".
Here's to a hopeful and fun mission in Lamar, Missouri--Colorado!!
And this has been a Pie-Cheese Production.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess! Don't try & trick yourselvs into thinking you're somewhere else. How many times have we seen caravans of mission trip kids from all over the country coming to "our" hometowns to help. Our families here are no less deserving than any other town in this country! The message you convey is that "We would rather stay here & help YOU than be anywhere else!" They're need is the same...they're faith is the same....they're HOPE is the same! Great joy & satisfaction comes from giving of the Heart to whomever needs it 1000 miles away or 30. We are VERY proud of all our Las Animas First Pres. Kids ( sorry....young adults!) On this, you're final mission trip, make it fun, make it meaningful & make it memorable! Oh, & by the way...don't bug Uncle Deke! Love you my Sicca Momma Nicca!!! Momma :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you guys! Wishing you the best on this mission trip. I know it is a bit of a disappointment to be so close to home, but remember that no matter where you are, you are serving God by helping those who really need it. Also, you are together, and that means a lot!

    Jess, I enjoyed reading your first "blog". Don't try to blog like your Uncle Deke, try to blog like yourself! I think you did a pretty good job of that. I could see you in the words.

    Again, praying for you all and wishing you a great mission trip.

    ReplyDelete