Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Family Mourns

Greetings,

I have written so many times about pain and grief, trials and tragedy.  All families have them, it is unavoidable.  Yet, the difference between families lies in the fact that families who are filled with God's presence grieve in a different way.  Those families grieve with hope, hope that they will see their loved one again.  Although it isn't always realized by families that are grieving, it is the presence of God that brings a sense of peace when death and tragedy invade the life of a family.

This day, death has come to our family.  My father's brother, Mike, died from a blood clot that entered his lungs.  I loved my Uncle Mike very much.  He and my Aunt Pat were always present at family gatherings.  Whether it was a birthday of a nephew, niece, great niece, or great-great niece they were there.  Growing up he was a constant presence in my life and I will miss him dearly. 

As I mentioned earlier tragedy and death come to all families and ours is no different.  We have felt the sting of death far too many times and through all of it our family has endured.  We have weathered the storms of life because our family is strong.  Uncle Mike was a part of that strength.  He has left us and our family is lessened because of his absence but our family will endure.  The very strength that Uncle Mike shared with each of us  is the strength that will bind us together.  This day a great sadness falls upon our family.  We have lost someone whom we have loved for so long but that love does not die for it lives in each of us.  So as we live Uncle Mike lives in us.

That's the way it should be.  Each branch that stems from our family tree widens the strength of love within that family.  Loved ones die but the tree lives on.  Scripture tells us not to grieve as those who have no hope but grieve with the hope of one who is in Jesus Christ.  I pray this day for my aunt Pat, my cousin Paula, my father and  his brother Gary, my aunt Sue, and all of our family.  Our strength comes from God and it is upon Him that we shall find our peace.


Give rest, O Christ, to thy servant, Mike, with all  the saints:
where sorrow and pain are no more;
neither sighing but life everlasting.

David Harkins wrote:

“You can shed tears that he is gone,
or you can smile because he has lived.
You can close your eyes and pray that he'll come back,
or you can open your eyes and see all he's left.
Your heart can be empty because you can't see him,
or you can be full of the love you shared.
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday,
or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.
You can remember him only that he is gone,
or you can cherish his memory and let it live on.
You can cry and close your mind,
be empty and turn your back.
Or you can do what he would want of you :
smile, open your eyes, love and go on.”
Today I remember a part of my family, my Uncle Mike.  A man who loved as much as he was loved.  I shall miss him but I will see him again.  I look forward to that day!
 
May your family be blessed this day,
 
Derek

1 comment:

  1. When Amanda & Samantha were little, they couldn't quite get the "Aunt & Uncle" part of Pat & Mike down. So, It was "Uncle Pat & Aunt Mike"!!! Every card or letter I've sent for 20 yrs. has been addressed that way. I remember Uncle Mike sitting @ Mom & Dad's table (with beard or goatee)..holding Sammi when she was a baby & tickling her! She wasn't scared but she wasn't quite sure what to make of it either! I cherish those days...spending the night with Paula Ann...going dumpster diving, getting boxes from the appliance store to use for sledding! I remember going to Grandma Applegate's...family gatherings...listening to "grown up" conversations over coffee @ Mom & Dad's kitchen table. Dad & Uncle Mike's fishing trips...the Oriental doll Uncle Mike brought back to me when I was 8 yrs. old from Guam. I have that, still, in my doll cabinet. The pain that I feel for My Dad watching yet another sibling die. The joy I have knowing they are in God's arms. I pray for peace for My Aunt Pat & Paula Ann....everyone who new & loved my Uncle Mike. I will see my "Aunt Mike" again one day, I will watch for his Beacon & together with God, they will lead me home. Always in my heart, Debra

    ReplyDelete