Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Path Less Chosen

Greetings,

I have always been a fan of Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken:

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,


And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5



Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same, 10



And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back. 15



I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference. 20


The idea of taking the road less traveled is a wonderful way of thinking of one's own life.  On my journey home I can think of a number of different paths I could have taken.  Those are the easy paths.  The path that is difficult to choose is that path that is not well worn.  It is the path where fear of the unknown is palpable.  This path is, in some ways, the path of Christianity.  Our faith calls us to travel the road that Christ traveled toward Golgatha, the place of the skull.  It is called the Via Dela Rosa, or the way of sorrows.

As Christ walked that long journey saddled with his cross he brought us with him.  Obviously, he knew the outcome, we don't.  Choosing to walk the path of faith can be a very frightening thing.  However, knowing where the path ends is what gives us hope.  None of know the future.  No one can predict what will happen tomorrow.  The experiences, both tragic and triumphant are veiled from us.  Yet, we do know that the reward of heaven is at the end of that path.  For me, that is good enough.

I like the path less traveld, the road not taken.  To me it is an opportunity to set out in faith!  I pray that your journey today, the path you choose to take, will make all the difference.


Blessings,

Derek

2 comments:

  1. This poem by Robert Frost has always been one of my favorites as well, Derek. Yes, it will be interesting as time goes by to see just how we will be called to travel that "road not taken" to stand up for our faith, won't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi brother.....that path into the unknown not so long ago was a rough one for you! You chose to get off all your addicting medication for pain....knowing in part where that path would lead. Constant pain......but a healthier body & mind. What a wicked trade off! I hope people seen the photos of you last summer @ Disney World.... look @ you now....fat & happy! I say that with the utmost sisterly love!haha Sometimes we choose paths that lead to trouble & heartache (had some of those!) Coming out on the other side....hopefully wiser, happier, healthier (body & mind)is the greatest reward! I am reminded of Rachel Joy Scott, Columbine student, who proclaimed her Christianity in the face of death...she took, in an instant, the path less chosen. Could we all do the same as Rachel? If given the chance, would she shout defiantly her faith again...knowing the profound heartache her family endures? We'll know one day.....she'll tell us there was no other path for her to take! Love ya 4....Sis

    ReplyDelete