Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Walk to Remember

Greetings,

As I have mentioned in my earlier posts this blog site is really for me.  I hope that if there is anyone out there reading that my story might bless you in some way.  For the past 10 years I have been the solo pastor at First Presbyterian Church in Las Animas, CO.  We are a small group but we are dedicated to the gospel.  It was merely one year after I arrived at First Pres that I had the first of my mnay trials that were to come.  I had a motorcycle fall on me and break one of my vertebraes.  I would like to tell you that I am a big motorcyle rider and that I, merely, encountered one of the numerous injuries tough bikers work through.  Sadly, I can't tell you that!  Actually, the motorcycle was my broth-in-law's and it was in my shed when it tipped on me while getting my wee whipper!  That story does not seem as galiant or macho.  Nevertheless, it's the truth.

It was from that moment on that I ended up on the operating table almost every year for four years.  During one of the most angirest prayer times I had with God was when I questioned Him about sending me to Las Animas.  I often joke that with all the surgeries I've had since coming to this church I wonder if the devil is tempting me to turn from God or if God is punishing me for coming to Las Animas.  Sometimes we don't know.  However, I know that no matter what I have gone through, whether back surgery, brain surgery, sinus surgery, knee surgery, or even tonsillectomy, God has gone with me.  Don't get me wrong I probably would not have said that in the midst of the surgeries but it's easier to realize now.

That is one thing we have to realize about our creator, He loves His creation.  I am sure that God did not enjoy the times that I lay on that operating table.  I am also past the point thinking that it was, necessarily, Him that put me there.  But, the devil or God, good or bad, on purpose or accidentally, God met me where I was and gave me strength that I did not know I had.  He can do it for you.  He will come right beside you and walk through the deepest valleys and the highest mountains.  He wants to do that because He loves us.

I never thought that my ministry in Las Animas, CO would be like this.  If I did I am not sure if I would have sighned up. I do know that I wouldn't trade it.  My God, my family, and my church is what has gotten me to where I am today...on a journey home.  I think I have a lot more walking to do on this journey...but what a walk to remember!  Talk with you tomorrow!


Blessings,


Derek

3 comments:

  1. "I HAVE BEEN DRIVEN MANY TIMES UPON MY KNEES WITH THE OVERWHELMING CONVICTION THAT I HAD NO WHERE ESLE TO GO" -Abraham Lincoln- There has been no where else for us to go but on our knees....and I have been beside you every step of the way. Your courage abounds, your voracity for The Word inspires. You are a true Shepherd in His name. I am profoundly blessed to have you as my brother! I know you hurt, I know you doubt, even when you put on the "I'm okay face". Know that I would take your pain, I would take your doubt to give you a moment of peace...a moment of pain free life. You tell us God has a plan for us..his plan for you is just unfolding. It will will be a great one & you will finally see that he will never foresake you! I love you my little brother! Sis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I passed this on to some of my freinds,I hope you don't mind,, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Derek,
    I know that you have been in pain for so long, but you have handled it with dignity and grace. You are an amazing young man and we couldn't be more proud of you, for who you are and what you have accomplised. You are a great husband, father and son! God listens and I know that he has great things in store for you. We love you.
    Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete