Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Will of the People vs the Will of God!

Greetings,

Since everything you read and everything you watch is talking about the mid-term elections I thought I would write about it as well. First of all, you have to realize that I am a history lovin', voter registration card totin', election night junkie! Last night was like Christmas for me. I do the same thing every election. I go vote, and then later in the night, just when the Eastern poll are closing, I get some food, set up voter central (me, a nice comfy chair and a laptop), and get the remote control ready for action. I also usually make sure that my bladder is empty (I don't want to have to leave the room if at all possible!).

I don't know what it is that fascinates me so much about elections. I have always enjoyed politics but elections fascinate me. I think it's because I love to see democracy in action. Not only are there the senate, house, Governor, and local races going on but there are important amendments as well. And that is what I want to share with you today...the amendments!

I don't know what your state elections are like but Colorado's is crazy. It seems like every two years somebody is trying to change our state Constitution. I mean to tell you that Colorado has to have the craziest looking Constitution. It makes me think that we have just decided to write our Constitution in pencil so that anything we put down we can easily erase. Colorado voters are one of a kind. I am not kidding! In one election cycle 54% of the people can vote to enforce term limits and then in the next election cycle vote to get rid of the very same term limits. In one cycle we can vote to create legislation that returns our tax dollars and then in the next cycle vote to let the legislature keep more of them. We're CRAZY! It sometimes seems as if we use the ballot box to send up test balloons. Let's see how it works if we keep our tax dollars, OH CRAP!, now we don't have any money for education or welfare! No problem let's just rid of that crappy law! And the crazy thing is that the very same people who loved it two years ago hates it today! I guess my problem is that I am a snobby voter. I happen to think that changing the Constitution of any state should be a lot harder than it is in Colorado. I happen to think that a document that was used to create statehood shouldn't be used as if it were a rough draft from some seventh grade writing class.

I mention this to share with you a rather difficult decision that I had to make on election Day. It was titled amendment 62. This amendment asked the voters of Colorado to change the definition of "person" in our state Constitution to include all individuals beginning from conception. Now, first of all, let me make myself perfectly clear...I believe that life begins at conception. The probably that I had with the amendment was that I could see where it was leading. If language in our state Constitution defines a person as a child at the moment of conception any type of abortion could be, legally, a type of murder. Let me make myself perfectly clear again...I am anti-abortion. However, what that means to me might mean something totally different to you. As a Christian I value all life. Yet, I believe that there are tough decisions that have to be made concerning pregnancies. But those choices aren't mine to make. I would certainly try and talk a pregnant woman out of an abortion or try and convince her that adoption is a wonderful option. However, at the end of the day, the choice is not mine to make.

The problem that I have with amendments like amendment 62 is that we are trying to legislate that which the body of Christ should be doing. We are trying to make people live out our beliefs. It is not the government’s role to teach the individual about faith or enforce their views based on that faith. I see what the amendment is trying to accomplish, the protection unborn children, and I applaud them for that stance. I just think we are trying to put our responsibilities upon the shoulders of our government. It seems to me that asking the government to do that which God calls us to do is backing the wrong horse. Our faith does not rest with the government but with God.

Because of that reason I voted "NO" on 62. It was not an easy choice and it took much prayer. Amendment 63 seems like the type of legislation that a Pastor would vote for...but I didn't. Just as I do not want the government pushing their agendas onto me I am not in favor of pushing my beliefs onto them. We must find a better way. We must ask God to guide us in our life and our actions. Abortion is not an option for me nor do I think God approves of it. But faith like that can't be manipulated at the ballot box. It must not be a change in law it has to be in a change of heart!

All I can say is that election 2010 was awesome! I can't wait for 2012! I better start getting my food and laptop ready!!!

Until Next Time!



Blessings,



Derek

3 comments:

  1. You're so weird! That being said, I am the proud Mother of 4 daughters, so pregnancy, protection AGAINST pregnancy, abortions & all options that come w/pregnancies have been discussed in our home frequently & for several years. I believe that knowledge is a powerful thing, I arm our daughters with it constantly (maybe more than they want!!haha) Does that stop young adults from experimenting even if they have been given every opportunity not to? Absolutely not! Religion & politics...that will start a fire-storm in any crowd....especially if you're talking pro-life or pro-choice. My humble opinion is this, I believe life starts @ conception....period, I never waiver from that. There are other avenues to abortion....pro-life?. But as a woman, I do not want our government telling me what I can & cannot do w/my body....pro-choice? I try my best to understand the issues at hand & where they fall in my Christian life. The Great Debate is what makes our country great...the ability to stand up as a Democrat, Republican, pro-life, pro-choice, way left or way right American & vote on the issues. God needs to have a greater hand in
    helping make those decisions...he seems to have had his "voting rights" revoked. Great Blog, Brother.... And no, I still don't know who the 23rd President of the United States of America is or how long his Inaugural speech was or how many kids he had or if he liked corn on the cob....but I bet you do....you're just spooky that way!!!hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Benjamin Harrison ( great-great grandson of Benjamin Harrison V, signer of the Declaration of Independence)23rd President....His Inaugural speech was brief but eloquent....He had no children....& it's still a little murky as to the Corn on the Cob issue! :) I think my facts are correct..but I bet you'll let me know if their not!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Interesting blog.. Truth is not relevant, and God is God, creator of the Universe.. Truth is true even in politics, and if you don't tell the truth and defend the truth, then, lies take over and suddenly, the whole world believes that person hood begins at 3 years old!In other words there are people who believe that humans do not become a person til 3 years old. And,well, we are already seeing people define what person hood is, right, like a person is only a person if they care whether they live or die!!!! Yikes. Nope, democracy is not concerned with truth, but, God is. And, if you are going to call yourself a Christian, then, you need to care about His truth, which is the only truth that matters.

    www.theepistemologicworks.com

    ReplyDelete