Sunday, September 5, 2010

Tolerance?

Greetings,

     At some point in your life you have to take a stand.  In my last blog I informed you that I would begin sharing a number of different beliefs that I hold dear.  These are ideas that I believe God has called me to share. These ideas aren't meant to spark a political debate, although they might.  Rather, these ideas are meant to inform you, the reader, of where I stand on certain issues regarding the spiritual health of our country and our world.  The words that are written pertain to my beliefs not someone else's.  They were given to me for the purpose of my growth and my obedience to God.
     The last time we came together on this site I informed you that I would be writing on a number of different topics.  Today, I want to share with you my thoughts regarding tolerance and how it is affecting our country.  The dictionary has a number of different definitions for the word tolerance, however I wanted to share one specific one with you.  Webster's dictionary provides this definition for the word tolerance;  "acceptance of different views: the acceptance of the differing views of other people, e.g. in religious or political matters, and fairness toward the people who hold these different views". Granted, there are other definitions and I could be accused of picking the one definition that supports the assumption that I am going to make and that accusation could be true.  However, the previous definition is provided for our chosen word and, therefore, a legitimate definition. 
     If we are to use the before mentioned definition of tolerance then we must define a word that is provided within that definition and that word is acceptance.  Again, one of the provided definitions for the word acceptance is as follows; "willingness to believe: willingness to believe that something is true".  Granted, there are, once again, other definitions given but this is the one I have chosen.  I have chosen each one of these definitions for a very specific reason.  I believe that these two words and these two definitions have become the understood truths of society today.  Let me explain.
    In our society today, whether it be from the left, the right, from media, or the printed page, we are being bombarded with the call to tolerance.  Whether it be in regards to religion, politics, or social mores, we are being told that we must be tolerant...and I have no problem with that.  My problem is that we are being told to be tolerant as defined by the definitions that were given above.  Our society today is telling us that we not only have to be accepting of different viewpoints but that we also have to believe them as well.  If this is the case then we would not only have to believe our own convictions are true but that someone else's viewpoints are true as well.  You can see the idiocy of that statement.  Yet, society is calling us to believe that everyone is correct!  That might be silly if it weren't so true!
     I am sure you can see the giant flaw in that which society is proposing.  Yep, you got it!  If everyone  belief's are true and those beliefs differ in even the slightest then we are being asked to believe that there is no real truth!  If I believe that I have the truth and Joe Schmo has different beliefs then how is possible for him to have the truth as well!   Society is calling us to believe that there is no one truth and I have to differ and say, "You are WRONG".  Real truth is static.  By that I mean that real truth doesn't change based on the seasons.  What is truth in summer is still the truth in winter.  Truth is truth whether you believe it or not.  Andy Andrews has a great line that he uses when speaking about truth.  " You may be a person that has no idea what gravity is yet if you step off of a 45 foot cliff gravity is gonna get you!  You see, gravity is real and works and affects you whether you know of it or believe in it at all!"
     Our country today is being taught that truth is whatever you decide it is.  And not only are we being taught that idea but we are also being encouraged to believe that other truth as well.  How can two competing truths be both true?  The answer is, they can't.  I am sick and tired of being told that I must take my deeply held beliefs and compromise them in the name of tolerance.  Do I believe that I should love all people?  Yes I do, scripture calls me to that challenge.  Do I believe that whether you are Muslim or Christian, Jew or Gentile, gay or straight, man or women, that I should be open to sharing  mercy and compassion to you?  Absolutely, my God expects no less.  But do I believe that I must cast aside what scripture tells me and take on society's mantra of  "everybody is right"?  The the answer is most definitely no!  I will not compromise the word of God for the word of man.  I will call not call right  what scripture calls wrong.  I will not believe that something is good if it is evil.  I will not be "tolerant" if two competing truths collide.  How can I be?  How can anyone be?
Pelosi hates Boehner, Obermman hates Beck, and all republicans hate Bill Maher!  It's insane!
     So, the real question is what does tolerance mean to me and to you?  How do we live out our daily lives with tolerance.  I believe that the answer to that rests within the pages of scripture.  "He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you?  But to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8).  Simply put we, as Christians, are to love all people, whether we believe in their individual beliefs or not.  We are called to be kind to all people, republican or democrat.  And, finally, we are called to walk with God.  What does that mean?  I believe it means that we are to secure ourselves with the life giving message of God through Jesus Christ.  I believe that it means that I know what I believe and share that belief with everyone I meet.  It doesn't mean that I kill you if you don't believe what I do!  It doesn't mean that I belittle you if your truth is not mine!  It doesn't mean that republican equals good and democrat equals bad!  It means I have tolerance for all things but belief in one thing..and that one thing is God.  It is there where I will not compromise!  I will not be convinced by anyone that I must believe all things in the name of tolerance.  I do not believe that God wants that, encourages,that, or teaches that!
     I am not a hater.  I believe myself to be a very loving and accepting person.  However, if my journey home has taught me anything it has taught me that bad things happen when I stray from God's Word.  Our country is dying.  It's not dying because of debt but that is something we need to correct.  It's not dying because Mr. Obama is our president.  Our country is dying because we have decided that we no longer needed God.  Somewhere along the way we decided that whatever you believed to be true was true.  I am sad for us as a nation.  That great idea of the United States of America has ransomed its soul.  Man's truth trumped God's truth and God was watching!  So, in the distorted name of tolerance we move ever closer to our demise.  May God have mercy on our nation's soul.

Until next time!

Blessings,

Derek

1 comment:

  1. Like you said on Saturday @ Mom & Dad Peabody's house, society believes that "tolerance" = "agreement". I have a REAL big problem with that word. To tolerate something means to "put up with it". What I am asked by society to tolerate runs from political & religious beliefs...racial & sexual beliefs....from Capital Hill to my own backyard. My first & foremost belief is that God expects me to show compassion & forgiveness to ALL people. Now, do I always have a easy time doing this, of course not! But God guides me & helps me...I work on it EVERYDAY!! It makes me sad when a friend says to me.. "All Muslims are Terrorists". SERIOUSLY...you just said that? I was at a loss! That was a PROFOUNDLY incorrect statement! That's like saying, "All German's are Nazi's or All White's are Racists". Society takes us by the hand, whispers in our ear..."Tolerate your fellow Man, whatever his beliefs....abandon Gods word, it's no longer relevant". No longer relevant?...Wasn't this country founded on God's principles? But Man & Woman's arrogance have pushed aside the Good Word & replaced it with their own. I pray for this country that I'm so proud to be in, because She needs Gods help! Great blog Brother! Love ya, Sis :)

    ReplyDelete