Friday, March 5, 2010

Surgery!

Greetings,

Very seldom, on my journey home, do I talk about the impact my surgeries have made on my family.  Jacob, my son, wrote a poem in his English class and I would like to share it with you.  It gives you a brief glimpse of how the terror of brain surgery impacts a son.

This shouldn’t be happening.

Not to us.
Dad never did anything to anyone or to God

But reality showed that what was happening was real.
My dad was laying in a hospital bed with a six inch scar running down his head.

I sit in a hallway
In front of the surgery wing.
Being 10 seemed to shield the thoughts of the future from my mind.

Doors open.
And my life would be changed.
He was ok

But we knew that the effects would last an eternity.
We all worked.

We all worked to help his memory,
His skills,
His thoughts.

Today I have my dad
He is well.
But the symbol of pain
Struggle
And love….

Is a six inch scar that runs down his head.

I am proud of my children.  Through so much fear and doubt they have endured!

Blessings,

Derek

2 comments:

  1. Now you know how it feels to have a Son who loves you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Granpa Hutch is proud of you Jake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!



    Love ya Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's my poem....Why Jake, why, do you make Auntie cry!!!! You have genuine talent with words...a story teller like your Dad. So, when you become famous don't forget what I always tell you....No matter how "big" you get, Auntie can still "turn you over my knee if you're naughty!" I love my Jake Boy! Auntie :)

    ReplyDelete