Friday, January 8, 2010

Just A Thought

Greetings,

I pray that our time together has been encouraging for you.  I know that I enjoy re-reading The Traveler's Gift and I pray that the statements that we are discussing have found their way into your daily lives.  I want to step aside and talk to you about a matter of importance to me.

If you follow the gadgets that I have placed on my blog you will know that they all mean something to me.  From a verse of the day to pictures of my family to websites about important matters each gadget says something.  You might notice that I have placed a number of Andy Andrew sites around the blog in hopes that you might find interest in some of his new material.  However, there is one site that I want you to check out.

You will notice that I have a picture of a fine looking young man at the top right of my blog.  This picture will take you to a website about this little guy named Hunter Hart.  He has recently undergone surgery for a cleft palate and the blog journals his recovery.  I know about Hunter through my father and I have spoken through comments with Hunter's father.  In that comment he spoke of how important it is to bring attention to children with cleft palates.

I, probably, would not have gone any further in mentioning Hunter if it were not for yesterday.  Yesterday, I was going through a number of pictures that Christine has saved over the years.  It is not only fun to look back but I also use them to re-learn any of the past I have forgotten.  The pictures were of me, my family, and some of the mission trips that I have taken with my senior high youth groups  over the past 17 years.

In looking at one picture I found a small baby that we had met when we worked at an orphanage in Mexico.  This beautiful baby had a cleft palate that could not be surgically repaired due to the fact that their family  had zero funds.  In looking at that picture I was reminded of Hunter and the brave manner that both he and his family are dealing.  I went on the web and discovered a wonderful website called operationsmile.org. You will find a link to it right below Hunter's picture.  When you have time go and check it out.  Actually, stop reading this blog and go see it right now!  Go on...I'll wait!

Now that you are back I want to encourage you begin thinking of ways that you can play a part in the lives of these kids.  Cleft palates can not only be physically scarring they can impact the spirit as well.  No child should have to live their lives without the opportunity to regain that life through innovative surgery.  I look at Hunter and I amazed at that little guys strength.  Mom and Dad talk about how he has to have his arms down at certain times so that he won't pick at his lip.  Can you imagaine!  I pray for Mom and Dad.  I know some kids in high school that their parants can keep them from picking their nose.  You go Hunter!...and hang in their mom and dad!

I wanted to take the time to mention this because I believe that anytime we stop to help others we help ourselves.  Hunter is going to make it through this...our prayers for him will be answered.  Yet, so many other children will not have the same opportunity.  I believe we can make a difference.  So, keep up with Hunter by clicking his picture, find a way to help others by clicking the link below him.  Life seems so much better when we help others.

Until Monday, may God bless you and hold you in His loving embrace!

Blessings,

Derek

3 comments:

  1. Well i just finished the Noticer, you know you are costing me a lot of money, having to buy all these books,I hope i don't have to pay for your book <<hahahah,It would work right in with what you are doing now,,this guy Jones,(in the Noticer)has some good things to tell you...
    I would like to tell you all of this over the phone ,but all I get is the Hutchison Mail Box. and I don't want to talk to it......So i guess I will have to learn to type better and faster...ahahah Ok Son get up the good work...and JUST WHO ARE THE 9 PEOPLE ??????????
    love You Big Dad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no spirit loss in Hunter, that's for sure! His eyes are beautiful & they capture you the first time you see him. In our family we play the "glad game" ( Jessica & Jenna insert rolling of the eyes here!) If you know anything about Terry he is a 6 ft....230 lb...bald..."tatted up"....Harley lover. That being said, his all time favorite show is Pollyanna w/ Haley Mills. Yes, you heard right, "Pollyanna"! Now, don't let this get out, it might tarnish his "big guy" reputation! Pollyanna likes playing the "glad game" w/the townspeople. For example: they say they can't stand Sundays because the Minister's sermons give them heartburn, ruining their Sunday dinner! To which Pollyanna simply states, "The glad thing is, you have a whole week before Sunday comes 'round again". How smart is that! When the surgeries are finally over, when he is growing physically & spiritually, Hunter WILL survive, that's the glad part.....some children don't. When you have those "oh, poor me" moments....just remember there is always someone out there that is just a little worse off than you. Pray for them, play the "glad game" & check out Hunter Hart.....that's what a real hero looks like, wet diaper & all! Great post Deke...maybe Dad will send me those books so I don't have to buy them!haha Love ya, Sis

    ReplyDelete