Saturday, January 2, 2010

I Have a Decided Heart

Greetings,

1 down only 364 more days left in the year.  I want to take this moment to let all of you in on a couple of prjoects I have my heart set on this year.  First of all, I hope you noticed the banners I placed on my blogsite concerning Andy Andrews.  He has a new book out called The Noticer.  Also, he has started something called The Noticer Project.  This website, which can be found by clicking the top banner of my blog, contains a challenge to each of us.  That challenge is to notice 5 people who have made profund impacts on our lives.  The site gives people an opportunity to share their stories with the world.  I encourage you to check it out, it is very uplifting.  The second project I want to share with you is that I have decided that 2010 is the year that I challenge myself to complete and attempt to publish my book.  What book? What the heck is he taliking about?  I didn't hear anything about any book!  Derek's been holding out on us!  I can't believe he would think about writing a book and not tell us!  Hold On!  For some of my closest friends and family they have been aware of my writing for quite some time.  Since beginning this blog I feel like all of you readers have become like my family (even though I don't even know some of you).

This book project of mine has been going on for about two years now.  I don't consider myself a writer, although I love to put down in words my thoughts, feelings, hopes, and dreams.  I told all of you, as I began this blog, any sense of grammatical accuracy I could have ever hoped for in my writng flew out the window with my first brain surgery.  However, in all honesty, I don't think I was ever that good at grammar.  So, I have spent some time reading and preparing myself for the writing of this book.  The idea for this book actually began to take shape with the creation of this blog.  After my surgeries I found it very helpful to journal my thoughts.  In doing so I felt like the story of my surgeries, road to recovery, and events that have changed me might be helpful to others.  In short, I wanted to let people read about My Journey Home!

I will be refining my effort and will be seeking an agent/publisher who might be interested in taking on this project.  I have no great illusions, I realize that the chances of being published are astronomical.  However, I truly believe that being published is not the end goal of this project.  It would be nice but it is not necessary.  The end goal for me is to try and live out the very things we have been discussing over these past months.  I always tell my youth group that I would never ask them to do something that I wasn't willing to do myself.  I find it hypocritical for me to challenge you to follow these great statements for success without following them myself.

So, in the spirit of being responsible for my future, continually seeking wisdom, and being a person of action, I have challeneged myself to complete this project in 2010.  I must admit I have some reservations.  The thought of putting out a manuscript detailing the intimate parts of my recovery from brain surgery, overcoming addiction to prescription medication, and not to mention my spiritual struggles, has me feeling a little exposed.  Nevertheless, it is a good story and I think it should be told to the nine people I imagine who want to read about it!

I would ask for your prayers as I bring this project to completion.  Writing is hard for me.  Well, writing well is hard for me.  I have much to work on to make this manuscript of my life into a readable format.  But the journey should fun and rewarding.  I will dedicate myself to being a person of action in this arena!

Tomorrow I want to share with you David Ponder's next historical encounter.  I wanted you to have some time to prepare yourself for the next figure that David Ponder meets.  I say this because this individual has been surrounded by controversy.  American history has a way of being changed as it passes down through the years.  It has been said that conquerors write history and perhaps this is the case regarding...Christopher Columbus.  There are many Americans who are not that big on ol' Chris and rightly so.  However, whether you think of Christopher Columbus as a great explorer, a heathen, or a fraud, David Ponder finds a great truth in him and Columbus shares a great statement of success with him...Having a Decided Heart!

So, until tomorrow, I pray that your life is on the path of responsibilty, wisdom, and action!  May God inspire us to great things for His kingdom!

Blessings,

Derek

1 comment:

  1. Derek, Rory sent me a link to this post because he thought I'd be interested in your writing a book, and of course I am! Don't know if you'll remember me and Hal. We lived in Lamar in the 1990's and in fact are still members of Rory's church, although we live in Pueblo now.

    I also don't know if you know I'm a writer. I've been writing for publication for about 20 years now and have about 240 publications, including contributions to 16 books. (If interested, you can see my latest article on www.TheChristianPulse.com.)

    Anyway, all that just to let you know my credentials for some context for my next statement. If I may help you through my knowledge and understanding of the publishing business, I'd be pleased to do so. I know a lot of people in the industry. And I've learned a lot about how the industry works and how to approach editors, publishers, and agents. I'd be happy to guide you through the process to help you see your dream with this book come true. Feel free to let me know what I can do for you.

    If you're interested, there is a conference coming up for Christian writers in Estes Park in May. Would your health allow you to attend? There's more info at www.WriteHisAnswer.com/Colorado. Click on "Continuing Sessions." I would suggest the sessions with either Jim Watkins or Cec Murphy for you. (The rest of the info for the 2010 conference isn't posted yet.)

    Please note this conference usually gives a discount on the registration to pastors. And if the rest of the cost is an issue, there are scholarships available.

    And oh by the way, while I understand you have special issues going on, writing isn't easy for any of us. It's a real challenge to get our thoughts on paper so others can understand and follow them. From what I've read of your blog, you do a really good job.

    (English was definitely not my best or favorite subject either. I liked math!)

    Blessings,
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete