Saturday, October 31, 2009

Superman- by Jacob Hutchison

Hello,  I am Derek Hutchison's son Jacob Hutchison.  But for the people who do read this blog your probably already know me because you know him or are related to him.  But for those of you who are looking at this for the first time I encourage you to read what my dad has to say.  He is an incredible man and his words and thoughts can make you cry, make you laugh, remind you of your family, and perhaps save a life. If you have read this blog befor then you already know about the unfortunate surgeries that have been in Derek's life.  You've heard it from his view, now you can hear it from his 13 year old son's perspective.

When his problems first started I was around 6, 7, or 8 I cant really remember, but as all boys that look up to their fathers I thought he was Superman.  It really didnt bother me as much at it would have if it would have happened now.  I can remember waiting in the waiting room asking when dad would come out.  I remember and wish I could take back getting mad because everything was taking so long.  I didnt really understand why mom was so scared and always crying and being by herself.  However I didnt go the whole time without reality hitting me.  I distincly remember sittting in a hall, next to my aunt and cousins, and basically the whole family, and it felt like a wave came over me.  A wave of fear, anguish, and love for my father.  It still puzzzles me to this day how a young child can understand so much in one single instant.  My worst fears were not realized, however, and superman is still here with us.

That was the story of what happened before the surgery, this is the story of life for the Hutchisons right now.  Afterwards he had to learn...well... everything over again.  It was strange at first when a tumbleweed would blow across the street and he called it a cottonball.  Or when he would forget how old i was.  But I never really looked at him as anything less then a father.  He was still the same Superman as he always had been.  Our love for him had never been changed and it will never be changed.  He still has headaches, he still sometimes cant play catch, he still sometimes forgets, but even though its a little different then most peoples lifes I can still say something that no one else can say.....My dad is Superman.

2 comments:

  1. You made Auntie cry Jake! I'm so glad you realize what Dad has gone through.....maybe forgetting things, but loving you & Steph always! You remember this......when he's sick, when he hurts,when he's grumpy, when he's old....you will respect him no matter what! He has EARNED that from you & Steph on many levels! You know Auntie is shaking her finger @ you right now!haha You have your Dad's heart to go out & help people....never lose that! When people say "Yeah, Jake's a Preacher's kid"....you tell them, "That's right & proud of it!" Now got eat a bowl of cereal! Love you Jake Boy! Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake,
    Papaw and Mamaw Hutch is so proud of you!!!!!!!! I hope that you grow up to be just like your Dad. To have people to say, "You are just like your Dad"!!! That would be awesome. Thank you, and Steph too, for loving and respecting your Father and Mother. Papaw and Mamaw sure do have
    some great grand kids!! Love you Jake!
    Mamaw Hutch

    ReplyDelete